Do: Keep both hands above the table
雙手擺在桌上
Don't: Keep your hands on your lap
雙手放在腿上
Note: When not using utensils, rest your wrists or forearms on the table (and never your elbows).
不用餐具的時候,要把你的手腕、前臂露出在桌上(但不要露出手肘)。
Do: Smash potatoes with a fork
用叉子壓碎馬鈴薯
Don't: Use a knife to cut potatoes
用刀子切馬鈴薯
Note: Using a knife means you think the potatoes are not done.
用刀子表示你覺得馬鈴薯還沒熟透
Do: Keep your chopsticks horizontal
把筷子平放
Don't: Leave them sticking upright in a bowl of rice
把筷子直插入一碗白飯
Note: Upright chopsticks in a bowl of rice is how food is offered to the dead. It's considered bad luck.
筷子直插白飯表示是給過世的人的享用的,不吉利
Do: Take off your hat, coat, and sunglasses indoors
在室內拿下帽子、脫掉大衣與墨鏡
Don't: Blow on your food
把食物吹涼
Note: If it is too hot to eat, take the hint and wait until it cools.
如果真的燙到不能吃,吃小口一點等它涼
Do: Accept a dish or glass using both hands
用雙手接盤子或杯子
Don't: Accept a dish or glass with one hand
用一隻手接盤子或杯子
Note: It's more respectful.
這樣比較尊重
Do: Enjoy "sobremesa"
享受餐後的談天時光
Don't: Rush off straight after your meal
吃完後就急著離開
Note: Sobremesa is the period right after a meal when family and friends share conversations or anecdotes. Take your time!
Sobremesa是指吃完飯後,與家人朋友輕鬆閒聊。享受這段時光吧!
Do: Use your hands to eat tacos
用手吃墨西哥卷餅
Don't: Use a knife and fork
用刀叉吃
Note: It's considered snobby to use cutlery. Do it like the locals.
用餐具吃會被認為很勢利,融入當地吧!
Do: Gifts of flowers must always be in odd numbers
花束的數字得要是奇數
Don't: Give yellow flowers
送黃色的花
Note: It is also not recommended to give thirteen flowers, as thirteen is considered to bring bad luck in Russia as well as in many other countries, and yellow flowers symbolize separation.
最好不要給13朵花,因為13這個數字在俄羅斯也認為不吉利,跟許多其他多國家一樣,至於黃色的花,表示分離
Do: Keep your palm facing up when holding cups
拿杯子的時候,雙手朝上捧住杯子
Don't: Spill milk or dairy products
灑出牛奶或乳製品
Note: Always receive objects with your right hand.
記得拿東西的時候一定要用右手
延伸閱讀:《你都在哪吃午餐?美攝影師帶你看上班族的午餐時光》
《美酒變酸菜色走味 專家揭開飛機餐不好吃的秘密》
《吃到飽經濟學》